Code Compliance & Enforcement

  1. Do not prune or cut Oak trees from Feb. 1st through June 30th

    Attention all Horseshoe Bay residents, now through June 30th is the Critical Time to Prevent Oak Wilt Disease. Read on...
View All

The mission of Code Compliance & Enforcement Division is to maintain the Health, Safety & welfare for the city residents and property values. 

The cities unique lake environment, quality of life and property ensure community values are reflected in the cities physical environment by enforcing City ordinances and all adopted codes.  

Our mission is to provide information through education, cooperation & compliance. Community awareness is paramount in maintaining your cities unique and beautiful Hill Country Charm.  

City Code Compliance ensures residents and business owners follow and compliance with City of Horseshoe Bay Code of Ordinances of which are relevant to your properties ensuring health, safety, and property values. 

 The cities approach & Implementation to code compliance and enforcement is the catalyst through which Horseshoe Bay continues to excel in its unique certifications as “Scenic City” & “Dark Skies Community.”  

Common code violations include the following


Code Section

  • Sanitation (Trash Bins)  

Sec. 6.02.007(g)(1)

  • Tall Weeds and Grass

Sec. 6.02.008 

  • Unpermitted Construction

Sec. 3.03.008

  • Residential Parking

Sec. 12.03.010

  • Public nuisances

Sec. 6.02.007(3)

  • Junk Vehicle

Sec. 8.02.004

  • Residential Lighting

Sec. 3.07.004

Oak Wilt Ordinance Sec. 8.09 - Oak Wilt / Tree Trimming Ordinance.  

Oak Trees May only be cut or trimmed during the following months.

(b)     Pruning or cutting of oak trees shall be prohibited in the spring months of February through June when fungal spore formation and beetle activity are highest unless such activities are completely unavoidable to protect the safety of people and property or the health of the tree. Pruning or cutting of oaks is permitted from July through January(Ordinance 2020-14 adopted 6/16/20)

The anatomy of a violation city ordinance

When there is a code violation, the City officially contacts the property owner in person, by phone, by email, or in writing to inform the resident or business owner of the city ordinance violation(s) and the required time (7) (10) or (20) days to abate or remedy to ensure compliance.  

Our primary goal is cooperation & compliance for property owners to make the needed corrections in a timely manner bringing the property into compliance with city ordinance. 

Uncorrected code violations may result in citations of both criminal or civil, fines and or court cost for each violation. (Note:  the city only enforces the adopted city ordinances and does not enforce deed restrictions or covenants as they are part of a civil agreement between a property owner and the Homeowners’ Association or Property Owner Association).

How do I file a Complaint for violation of City Ordinance?

All complaints filed are required to be submitted in writing per city ordinance. 

Sec. 6.02.010 -   Investigation and notice of violations. 

(a)     Any city resident or property owner may file a complaint alleging a violation of this article. The complaint must:

(1)      Be in writing.   COMPLAINT FORM 

(2)   Provide sufficient details about the violation and location of the  property or building for an investigation to be conducted.

(3)     Be signed by the complainant; and

(4)     Be filed with the mayor, city secretary, or code enforcement officer.


 For additional information on the City’s ordinances, please contact Mac Montoya. Code Compliance Officer, @ 830-598-8741 ext.210 or e-mail Mac Montoya. Or Police Officer, Ray Garcia, @ 830-598-8741 ext.209 or email Ray Garcia.  You may view all city ordinances located on the city main webpage.

To report city illegal dumping violations, please Call 830 598-9959 8-5, m-f or HSBPD Dispatch @ 830-598-2633 after 5pm m-f and weekends. In case of an Emergency call 911

Illegal Dumping Crimes Range from Class “C” Misdemeanor to State Jail Felony.  For more information on illegal Dumping and state laws for environmental crimes visit TIDRC.

Stop! Who Do You Need to Call?


Responsible Agency

NoiseHorseshoe Bay Police Department
For emergencies dial 9-1-1
Private Subdivision Restrictions
Landscape Maintenance Issues
Contact your HOA/POA
Street MaintenancePublic Works Department 
830-598-8741 Ext 234
Irrigation and Water ConservationWater Conservation inspector
No electricityPedernales Electric Company
Emergencies 888-883-3379
Downed trees in roadwayPublic Works Department
830-598-8741 Ext 234   
Downed trees on propertyContact Landscaping Company
Building Permit InformationDevelopment Services Department
Flooded or washed out roadsHorseshoe Bay Police Department
Storm Damage on PropertyContact your Insurance Agent
Burn PermitsHorseshoe Bay Fire Department
Lake LBJ/Lake Water ComplaintsLCRA
Questions, Comments & Complaints | LCRA
Parking ComplaintsHorseshoe Bay Police Department
Bulk Trash ServicesUtility Customer Service
830-598-8741 Ext. 202
Vacant Lot Mowing ProgramLot Mowing Coordinator
830-598-8741 Ext. 272
Animal ControlHorseshoe Bay Police Department
Questions about paint color, non-structural
maintenance of property/landscaping
Contact your HOA/POA or Architectural Control Committee (ACC)